REPORT | Chester 2-1 Leamington

    Chester left it late once again at the Deva to secure all three points against Leamington.

    Paddy Lacey put the hosts ahead before a long delay due to a serious injury to Jake Weaver in the Brakes goal.

    The visitors equalised just before half time through Steph Morley’s free kick, but it was to be Chester’s day in the end though as James Horsfield’s effort was deflected beyond Callum Gittings deep into stoppage time.

    The Blues made three changes from the side was knocked out of the FA Trophy at Curzon Ashton last weekend as George Waring, Lacey and Josh Askew came in for Luke Clark, Anthony Dudley and Declan Weeks.

    With the wind swirling Chester looked to take advantage early on. First Horsfield’s ball over the top was met by Jack Redshaw but a heavy touch let Weaver in to claim the ball. A minute later and Redshaw was in again but once more Weaver was out to smother his shot.

    Leamington almost took the lead as they broke down the right wing and crossed into the penalty area and Kevin Roberts turned it towards his own goal, but Louis Gray made a stunning diving save.

    Next it was  Waring’s chance to go close as he met George Glendon’s corner, but his header was turned behind by a Leamington defender on the goal line.

    Chester took the lead just after the half hour. Glendon’s free kick into the area saw Weaver collide with a defender before dropping to the feet of Paddy Lacey who tapped home.

    The concern became the nasty injury to Weaver, who stayed down for an extended period before being carried off on a stretcher.

    The game resumed after a near half hour delay with Gittings replacing Weaver. It was Leamington who took advantage of the delay though as Morley’s free kick snuck into the bottom corner past Gray’s outstretched arms.

    With conditions in the second half getting even worse, Leamington sought to take advantage with the wind behind them. From a corner it broke to Prosser and he looked to place a shot but Waring was there to clear the ball away.

    As the game rolled into stoppage time Leamington’s corner was met by Kyle Morrison but he couldn’t get his header on target.

    It was the Blues who had the last laugh though as they won the ball back high up the field and James Horsfield fired powerfully goalwards with the ball deflecting beyond Gittings to give Danny Livesey his first win as Interim Boss.

    Chester: Gray, Roberts, Cowan (Dudley 45), Glendon (c), Waring, Horsfield, Lacey, Williams, Askew, Redshaw (Weeks 69), Jolley (Stephenson 87).

    Subs not used: Clark, Oyibo.

    Scorers: Lacey 32, Horsfield 90+5; Morley 43.

    Attendance: 1,389.