REPORT | Curzon Ashton 2-1 Chester

    A second half Curzon fightback saw the Blues exit the Buildbase FA Trophy at the Tameside Stadium this afternoon.

    On-loan Charlie Jolley had given the Seals a half time lead, before second half strikes from Jack McKay and Adam Thomas saw the Nash advance in the cup.

    Chester FC Interim Manager Danny Livesey made three changes from Tuesday’s home defeat to Guiseley, which proved to be Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley’s final game in charge of the club.

    James Horsfield, Luke Clark and Matty Williams all came in to replace Simon Grand, Josh Askew and Paddy Lacey.

    It was a quiet start in Livesey’s first game in Caretaker charge, but he would have been encouraged by his side and their efforts off the ball to nullify any threat from the Nash.

    Skipper George Glendon went close on 24 minutes, driving into the box and sending a low ball across goal which flashed just wide of the far post.

    At the other end Marcus Poscha looked certain to score on the half hour mark following Adam Thomas’ teasing ball, but Williams made a fantastic block to deny him.

    Dan Cowan then went close against his former club, seeing his looping header from Glendon’s corner cleared away from the goal line.

    Nevertheless the opener came just five minutes from the interval. Kevin Roberts’ excellent centre from the right channel found the on-loan Jolley to nod into the goal via a slight deflection.

    The second half started lively and saw a chance at either end. First Jack Dunn dispossessed Declan Weeks and was through – but could only fire against the side netting.

    Then a well worked Chester free kick saw space worked for Jolley to shoot inches over the crossbar.

    However Curzon did get level on the counter moments later. Alex Curran slid a pass through to sub McKay who sidefooted home.

    The Nash had the chance on 70 minutes to turn the game around as Dan Cowan was adjudged to have pushed Adam Barton in the box and Referee Simeon Lucas pointed to the spot.

    Matty Waters stepped up but Louis Gray guessed right to save and hold his penalty.

    Luke Clark then went close down the other end, finding good power in his 30-yard free kick but it flew just wide of the post.

    Just after Thomas drilled wide of the post for the home side, Redshaw twice went close. First his effort from the edge clipped the bar on its way over, before again not quite being able to find the net with a free kick which whistled just over.

    But it was to be Curzon who got their winner with three to play, as Mahon’s corner was punched up by Gray and Thomas was there to fire into the net through a crowd of players to send the Nash through to the next round.

    CHESTER: Gray, Roberts, Cowan, Williams, Horsfield, Clark (Waring 88), Glendon, Weeks, Dudley (Stephenson 69), Jolley (Oyibo 79), Redshaw.

    SUBS NOT USED: Smith (GK), Waring, Lacey, Lowe, Askew.

    SCORERS: McKay 56, Thomas 87; Jolley 40.