REPORT | Spennymoor Town 4-2 Chester

    Glen Taylor’s late headed double denied Chester a point this afternoon as Spennymoor were victorious at the Brewery Field.

    His brace came after a fantastic fightback from the Blues, as Darren Stephenson and Jude Oyibo cancelled out an own goal and a Luke Spokes strike for the Moors.

    Danny Livesey made three changes from the victory over Leamington, with two enforced as Charlie Jolley was recalled by Tranmere and Paddy Lacey was facing his third professional boxing bout. Josh Askew dropped to the bench.

    They were replacing in the Starting XI by Anthony Dudley, Luke Clark and Declan Weeks.

    Spennymoor came out and started well, with Spokes’ powerful effort on two minutes from the edge of the box well beaten away by Louis Gray.

    At the other end, Dudley struck the woodwork moments later. After Jack Redshaw had been initially denied by Dale Eve – the ‘keeper was forced to tip the resulting shot on to the bar after the home side had quickly conceded possession back to the Yellows number ten.

    Then the home side had a huge chance on 13 minutes. It was good work by Rob Ramshaw initially inside the box, before a solid block from Dan Cowan saw the loose ball find the unmarked Stephen Thompson in the area – but he smashed well over.

    Gray would then be worked again a couple of minutes later, as Moors top scorer Glen Taylor rose to meet Ryan Hall’s cross – the Seals ‘keeper was able to gather.

    Dudley would then have a go from distance again after good hold up play by Waring, but his effort this time was over the bar.

    It was to be Spokes vs Gray once more on 23 minutes, as the Chester ‘keeper pulled off an excellent low reaction stop to deny the midfielder – before he got some assistance in the goal from Clark – who cleared an effort from a corner off the line on the half hour mark.

    Spennymoor did get their breakthrough in first half stoppage time – and it came in unusual fashion. The dubious goals panel may be required as Ramshaw’s looping header moments before the whistle appeared to strike the post and rebound off Gray before going in.

    Askew replaced James Horsfield at the break, and he almost had an instant impact as his speculative effort from range was tipped over by Eve.

    Half chances came and went at either end on the hour. First Sikora turned Spokes’ corner over the before, before Clark whipped a free kick just over the crossbar.

    Eve would then be forced into action as a strong Dudley run saw him set up sub Darren Stephenson, and his low sidefooted effort forced a fantastic low save,

    Nevertheless, the hosts got their breathing space with a second midway through the second half. Lufudu’s ball from the right eventually landed at the feet of Spokes who fired home.

    But Livesey’s side didn’t give up and cut the deficit on 77 minutes. Redshaw found Stephenson on the edge who spun and fired home his second of the season via a slight deflection.

    The game opened up at this point as Thompson was denied by Gray before Jude Oyibo and then Stephenson both forced Eve into low saves.

    Oyibo would go on to notch his first league goal for the club to cap an impressive fightback on 84 minutes – pouncing on a loose ball before driving forward and hitting the back of the net.

    But this game continued to provide drama and it was Taylor who won it for the home side with a brace of identical goals late on. Separate deliveries from the left were twice superbly converted by the frontman as the Moors kept the points.

    CHESTER: Gray, Roberts, Cowan, Williams, Horsfield (Askew 46), Clark (Stephenson 64), Glendon, Weeks, Redshaw (Oyibo 78), Waring, Dudley.

    SUBS NOT USED: Smith, Burke.

    SCORERS: Gray (OG) 45+1, Spokes 68, Taylor 86 & 90+2; Stephenson 77, Oyibo 84.

    ATTENDANCE: 1,205.