REVIEW OF THE SEASON | October 2018 takes a look back at the events of the Blues’ 2018/19 National League North campaign – month-by-month!

    October 2018

    Chester 3-0 HerefordAn excellent September then spilled into October too! Another excellent performance produced three goals and three points for the boys in blue and white. Matty Hughes opened the scoring – before being sadly forced off due to injury which kept him out for the remainder of the season. John Pritchard’s brilliant strike and Deane Smalley’s late header sealed it.

    The positive news just kept on rolling as, just 24 hours later at the Deva, the Chester FC Youth side pulled off a famous 3-2 win over Wrexham in the FA Youth Cup. But there were still always going to be setbacks along the way…

    Dunston UTS 4-3 ChesterIt was a crazy, crazy FA Cup tie. A trip to the North East to face the lowest ranked side left in the competition ended with a ‘cupset’ for the hosts. They took the lead early, before Chester went into half time in front thanks to a Deane Smalley header and a Dan Mooney wonder goal. But then in the blink of an eye, the Blues had Danny Livesey sent off and were 3-2 behind. Mooney stole the show again with another brilliant solo strike to level it up – but Dunston scored what proved to be the winner in the last 15 minutes.

    That result brought an end to a superb seven game unbeaten run, but more was to come in the league. However, knocked out of the famous old cup, Chester had a big break to rest and recover.

    This gave chance for the youth team to come to the forefront, a fantastic 4-2 away win at Hartlepool saw the Under 18’s set up an FA Youth Cup tie with Barnsley in November.

    Positive news in the first team saw Dan Mooney’s loan extended for the remainder of the campaign. Three wins were to follow in seven days to further grow a tremendous amount of positivity around the Swansway…

    Chester 2-1 Witton AlbionIt was not a classic in this Cheshire Senior Cup First Round tie. An early goal from the visitors saw the Blues have work to do. Craig Mahon quickly levelled it up with a superb finish, before a late Gary Roberts penalty sealed the deal.

    Chester 3-2 Alfreton Town – A day packed with drama at the Swansway Chester Stadium. The games were certainly value for money! Roberts was clinical from the spot again to give the Blues the lead. But Billy Heath’s side battled back – Reece Styche and Bobby Johnson giving them the advantage at the break. However, James Clifton’s straight red card had them at a disadvantage. Gary Roberts stole the show in the second 45. His thunderbolt drew the game level before Steve Howson was dismissed for fouling Craig Hobson. Nevertheless, Roberts completed his hat-trick in stoppage time to win it for the Blues after he missed a penalty; but slotted home the rebound.

    Chester 4-1 Ashton UnitedOur third win in a row was certainly more straightforward. Traffic problems saw a delay in kick off, but the Blues were quick out of the traps still and raced into a two goal lead. Dudley driving home from a Mahon cross and Howson reacting to head home a corner. Dudley’s spinning finish made it three and the Blues raced clear with a fourth courtesy of a Craig Mahon header. Brad Jackson – who would later join the Blues – scored a superb late solo effort for Ashton.