Chester secured their first victory of 2023 with a hugely impressive three points on the road, ending the unbeaten home run of King’s Lynn in the process.

    After soaking up second half pressure, loanee Rhys Hughes pounced to score the winner, his first for the club to secure a stunning win.

    Calum McIntyre made three changes from the defeat at home to Spennymoor Town. Harrison Burke and Anthony Dudley missed out due to injury, while Alex Brown dropped to the bench. In to the side came Ollie Heywood, Iwan Murray and Charlie Caton.

    The hosts had the first big chance of the game on two minutes. A long ball forward skimmed off the head of Liam Edwards and enabled Jordan Ponticelli to get in behind, but he was denied by a strong save from the legs of Harry Tyrer.

    But the Seals settled into the game following that early scare and went very close indeed on 19 minutes. Rhys Hughes ran on to a Heywood throw to volley first time – he connected with it brilliantly – unfortunately though it swerved inches wide.

    The Tranmere-loanee was having a lively spell as Chester pressure grew. His next effort from Murray’s lay off forced Paul Jones to brilliantly tip over the crossbar. From the resulting corner, Hughes found Kurt Willoughby following a well-worked routine, which saw Jones save at the second attempt.

    League leaders Linnets then came back and had a strong spell of their own, Christian Oxlade-Chamberlain’s cross was well beaten away before Aaron Jones fired over.

    Adam Crowther should have given the hosts the lead on 36 minutes. Theo Widdrington’s deep free kick found the unmarked defender but he nodded over the top.

    Tyrer was then called into action once more before the break, showing excellent reflexes to deny Oxlade-Chamberlain’s sweet volley from 12 yards out.

    Just after the interval Ponticelli tried an audacious volley from distance on the right wing, but it drifted wide of the post.

    Tommy Widdrington’s side were having a strong spell and applying pressure, but the Seals were doing well to nullify the threat. When Aaron Jones got another sight of goal inside the box, he was stopped by an excellent sprawling block from Matty Williams.

    Gold Omotayo was introduced at half time to bring a threat and did well to meet a Jones cross from the right with a quarter of an hour to play, but his header was well off target.

    But the winning moment came at the other end on 78 minutes as Hughes pounced on some defensive uncertainty to poke home the winner in front of the travelling Seals.

    Leave a Reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.