Tamworth 0-0 Chester

    Calum McIntyre’s men earned a point on the road at the league leaders after a strong performance without that finishing touch.

    Declan Weeks and Elliott Whitehouse had the first opportunities of the game with volleyed efforts that couldn’t trouble Jas Singh. 

    Charlie Caton was very lively down the right with his pace proving an issue for the Tamworth defence, although the final ball was just evading the Seals attack throughout the first period.

    The Lambs then had their first chance following a Ben Milnes free kick which fell to Kyle Finn and Ben Acquaye but both of their shots were blocked by a resilient Blues backline.

    After picking up his 20th clean sheet of the season last Saturday against Curzon Ashton Wyll Stanway was first tested around the half hour mark, when Callum Cockerill-Mollett unleashed a curling effort that Stanway managed to hold onto.

    The Seals were back on top as the interval drew closer, with Murray and Caton combining well before Liam Dolman slid in and cleared for a corner.

    Tom Peers had a drilled shot saved by Singh before George Glendon had a powerful effort deflected over but neither side could break the deadlock and the half finished goalless.

    The hosts started on top in the second period, with captain Milnes and Dan Creaney both having volleyed efforts but neither could trouble Stanway as they flew over the bar.

    The game was played at a much higher tempo after the break, with both sides pushing men forward to try and claim the lead.

    Ben Tollitt was brought on for Charlie Caton and almost had an immediate impact, cutting inside from the left and striking an effort towards the near post but Singh was equal to it.

    Minutes later Harrison Burke thought he had won it for the Yellows but his header was miraculously blocked off the line by a resilient home defence.

    The Lambs backline held strong towards the end when the pressure was at it’s greatest, with George Glendon and Tom Peers both having close-range shots cleared inside the six-yard box.

    The closing stages featured plenty of endeavour but the ball just wouldn’t go in for the Seals and Calum McIntyre’s men were forced to settle for a point away at the league leaders.

    Match Report by Tom Bird.


    Chester: Stanway, Burke, Williams, Roberts, Woodthorpe, Whitehouse, Murray, Glendon, Weeks, Peers, Caton (Tollitt 74′)

    Subs Not Used: Thomas, Norton, Heywood, Coates.

    Scorers: None

    Attendance: 2,205 (605 away)